Facts About SBC
The school first opened on December 1, 1856 in the “Old Roman Catholic Church and Palace” on what is today Henry Street.
The school was founded by Bishop Thomas Mullock, O.S.F. and its first President was Father Enrico Carfagnini, O.S.F.
The College was officially opened on October 4, 1857. During the opening Bishop Mullock presented a painting of St. Bonaventure, which hangs today in the President’s Office.
The school has graduated many outstanding men and women including:
3 Prime Ministers of Newfoundland
2 Lieutenant Governors
3 Chief Justices
4 Mayors of St. John’s
27 Rhodes scholars
over 100 priests
The school has won 26 Boyle trophy championships
The school has won 17 Group Rose Bowls at the Kiwanis Festival since 2003.
Brother Slattery (President 1889-1896) credited with introducing CHE exams to the colony, reforming teacher certification and pay.
St. Bon’s graduate W.J. McGrath was private secretary to U.S. President Teddy Roosevelt.
The school was reopened in 1999 under the leadership of Dr. Michael Bautista and a group of dedicated parents.
The school has been affiliated to the Jesuits since 1999.
8 graduates have won the prestigious Whealen-O’Reilly Scholarship to the College of the Holy Cross.
Our chapel contains 8 magnificent stoneware wall-reliefs of the Canadian Jesuit Martyrs by renowned artist Gerald Squires, C.M.