As part of strategic objective 12 of the Strategic Plan, St. Bonaventure’s College launched its new brand on September 11, 2015. The new visual identity of St. Bon’s represents the history of the school and our place in the global Jesuit community.
History & Symbolism of the School Logo
The school logo and seal contain the following heraldic elements:
Quadrant 1 – The Book: The open book represents our namesake, St. Bonaventure, and the founding administrators of our school, the Franciscans. The Franciscans administered St. Bonaventure’s College from 1856-1899. St. Bonaventure is referred to as the Doctor of the Church, and is often depicted with an open book. The book is also a reflection of the academic excellence St. Bonaventure’s College has been known for since its opening in 1856. As well the book can be interpreted as the Bible, a representation of our Catholic faith.
Quadrant 2 – The Celtic Cross: The Celtic Cross represents the second order to administer St. Bonaventure’s College, the Christian Brothers. The Christian Brothers administered the school from 1899-1988. The Celtic Cross is a part of the Christian Brothers crest and is used by many of the schools administered by the Christian Brothers. The Celtic Cross has been a part of the St. Bonaventure’s College crest since the early 1900s.
Quadrant 3 – IHS: This insignia represents St. Bonaventure’s College today being an Ignatian/Jesuit school. St. Bon’s has been an Ignatian/Jesuit school since 1999. In 1541, St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted IHS as his seal as General of the Society of Jesus. The three Greek letters are the traditional abbreviation for the name of Jesus, whose death and resurrection for us are represented by the three nails and the sunburst. It is still used as the symbol for the Society of Jesus and is used by most Jesuit institutions throughout the world.
Quadrant 4 – Seven Bars: The seven bars are derived from the Onaz-Loyola family shield. The seven bars commemorated the Onaz brothers, who were on the maternal side of St. Ignatius’ family. The King of Spain in recognition of their bravery granted the seven bars to the brothers as a mark of honour. The bars are also used in many Jesuit schools’ logos/crests, uniting us with the global Jesuit community.
Shield: The shield shape of the school logo represents the heraldic traditions of the great universities of Europe, where Jesuit education began in Messina, Sicily in 1548. It is also reflective of St. Ignatius’ prior military service.
Center – Cross: At the center of the shield, connecting all of the elements together, is the cross. The cross is representative our Catholic faith and heritage It is at the heart of the mission of St. Bonaventure’s College.